I am in a war with my debt. I’m focusing all my efforts on getting my family completely out of debt. 2014 was very unkind to us, financially, and I plan on doing whatever it takes to remedy that! I’ve shared a lot of different things I do, particularly in the kitchen, to save money, but this is a new and unexpected one (at least unexpected for me). I go through parchment paper like crazy. Ever since going gluten free, I’ve used it a lot, and I’m so sick of the expense! I heard about this BakeItFun silicone baking mat and the claims that it can eliminate my need for parchment paper or foil. I decided it was worth trying out, you know, see if it would actually work well and save me some money.
I’m thrilled to say that it works really well. It’s been SO easy to clean off and reuse, and I’ve made several different “batches” of food with it. I started with my roasted chickpeas, and it worked beautifully. One thing I like about it is that it has measurements on the sides. I tend to just eyeball things when I’m baking and spacing, but it’s nice to have measurements if I’m wanting a cookie or something to turn out just right, and I don’t want pieces of dough to cook together. It also provides a visual (as you can see in the above picture) that you can use if you want perfect spacing! Right now it’s on sale for 73% off at Amazon.com, so it may be worth looking into. I don’t know how long the discount will last.
More about the mat:
1. STOP WASTING MONEY Buy your BakeitFun Premium silicone baking mat Now And Eliminate the Need for Parchment Paper or Aluminum Foil. Re-use it up to 2000, think about how much less trash you’ll make.
2. DURABLE AND RESISTANT Multipurpose uses, perfect for cooking anything, Sugar Candy, Melted Cheese, Garlic and Cookies. Stop being afraid of buying cheap smelly silicone baking mats. Oven, Dishwasher and Microwave safe.
3. SAVE TIME Get your food from freezer to the oven. Then rinse it off and forget about scrubbing sheets.
4. SAFE MATERIALS Made from fiberglass coated with food grade silicone, this non-stick silicone baking mat offers multipurpose uses for preparing, cooking, and heating up food. FDA and LFGB approved. It’s 100% BPA free.
5. BAKE WITH YOUR KIDS BakeitFun makes cooking fun for all ages! Turn a simple task in the kitchen into a fun and exciting moment with your kids – they’ll be thankful later!
I’ve loved using it and am very happy to be able to save money and not buy that dang parchment paper anymore. I am also thrilled to have a huge batch of roasted chickpeas ready and available for my snacking pleasure now.
- 3 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp sweetener (I use stevia or nectresse)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
Mix the ingredients together and store in a small jar or bowl. To roast the chickpeas, either open a can of chickpeas or cook some from scratch in your slow cooker. Drain the chickpeas well and pat dry with a clean towel. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. In a bowl, combine the chickpeas with a drizzle of olive oil (about 1 Tbsp per 2 cups of beans). Mix well and spread out onto a baking sheet. Sprinkle generously with the seasoning mix to taste. Roast in the oven for about 45 minutes. After the first 30 minutes in the oven, check on them and stir. Roast until they are crunchy. So good!
**No monetary compensation was received. I received the product in exchange for an honest review. The opinions are mine alone.