Let’s get stocked up on some non-prescription medication(s) for our kits this week.
Life is stressful, even during the best of times. In an emergency, the last thing you’ll want to deal with is a headache on top of everything else….or allergies, or insomnia. Feeling at least decent physically will go a long way in helping you to keep your sanity in times of struggle.
So…browse through your local ads. See what’s on sale and buy an extra bottle if it’s something you can use. Stock up on what you’ll use, not on any set list of stuff. I’ll share with you what I have extra, but by all means, only purchase what’s good for YOU and your family:
- Tylenol – I actually have store brand acetaminophen, both in capsules and in children’s liquid form. In my case, I must ALWAYS check to make sure the meds I purchase are gluten free…so keep that in mind if you have a food intolerance.
- Ibuprofen – again, in children’s liquid and in capsules. I don’t have as much of this, because of my history with ulcers…but I figure in an emergency, it’s worth it to have on hand. If there are fevers or pain involved with any given situation, it’s nice to know you can alternate between this and the acetaminophen for maximum relief, if needed.
- Melatonin – both in capsule and liquid form. The liquid form is great for the kids, but the stuff I have has gluten, so I’ve also purchased the capsules. If life “happens”, as it always does, and we’re struggling with an emergency or other problem, I want to know that if nothing else, my kids will be able to sleep at night and wake up refreshed.
- Antacids – I personally have prilosec OTC, but you could store Tums or anything else. Just in case!
- Emergen-C – again, I don’t have the actual brand, but a store brand that is similar. Soothing for a parched throat, provides vitamins as well!
- Multivitamins – When on sale, I stock up on vitamins, particularly the gummy kind that my kids are so fond of. (although I actually would like to switch to liquid or something different since those are not the “healthiest” multi vitamin out there…any suggestions?)
Of course, I wouldn’t suggest you buy ALL of the medications you would ever possibly need, but if you happen to find a good deal on any this week, go for it!