Make Your Own Beef Jerky – Self Reliance Journey

So, as part of my self-reliant journey, I’m making an effort to learn how to do new things.  Last month I learned to make my own chap stick, and it was a huge success!!

For April, I decided to try to make beef jerky with ground beef.  And all I got to say about that is:

WHY?  Why did I not try this sooner?  It was SO easy, and so good!

I used the recipe from HERE, and made a couple of adaptations for my family.  The kids and I ate it all in 2 days.  Oops…

This will be great stuff to have on hand…especially for any hiking/road trips we do.  And man, it’s so much more affordable than the pre-made stuff at the store!

Homemade Ground Beef Jerky (adapted from Cooks.com):

2 lbs. extra lean ground beef –
1/3 c. gluten free soy sauce ( I use La Choy brand)
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
2 tbsp. brown sugar
Mix all ingredients together in a good sized mixing bowl. Use your hands to make sure the seasonings are evenly distributed throughout the meat.
Refrigerate the mixture for 24 hours. Roll the meat out in strips or patties and dry in your food dehydrator according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

Drying time will vary depending on humidity and the fat content of the meat. Once removed from the oven jerky is cooled and stored in an open
container to allow drying to continue. Seal the container to prevent further drying. Store in refrigerator or freezer.

*If you don’t have a food dehydrator, don’t despair!  According to the original recipe, you can dry it in your oven at 150 degrees with the door ajar (to ensure actual DRYING, not just slow cooking) for 4-8 hours, depending on how thick you cut it.

*Linked up at Gluten Free Wednesdays!

11 comments for “Make Your Own Beef Jerky – Self Reliance Journey

1. May 14, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Google Biltong. It’s a South African “jerky” only not made with ground meat and a whole lot more tasty

2. Linda
    May 7, 2012 at 12:30 pm

I don’t have a food dehydrator. Can I do this in the oven, and if so, what temperature and how long. Thanks! It looks delicious.

• May 9, 2012 at 8:07 pm

The original recipe actually gives specific instructions for using your oven, so that’s the good news! According to the original, you can dry it in your oven at 150 degrees with the door ajar (to ensure actual DRYING, not just slow cooking) for 4-8 hours, depending on how thick you cut it. You’ll know it’s done by looking at it. I hope that helps!!:)
      Monday at 8:05pm · Like

3. Dawn
    May 7, 2012 at 11:28 am

Hi, this is a great idea and sounds really good. I am wanting to try this but have no dehydrator. Can I use my oven and if so, how long do I need to leave it in for?? Thanks!!

• May 9, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Hey Dawn!

4. betty
    May 7, 2012 at 10:06 am

I make jerky all the time. I use really thin beef. get it at walmart. costs about 5.00. I marinate in garlic, soy sauce(low sodium) liquid smoke and add chili flakes so you don’t eat it all up at once. then put the meat on my dehydrator over night. cut into strips after dried.
    I have also use Teriyaki Sauce instead of soy and barbeque sauce

• May 9, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Betty, I bet the liquid smoke makes it taste so flippin’ good! I can’t have liquid smoke (food intolerance issue) but I LOVE the stuff. I think the chili flakes is a very smart idea too! Anything to prevent me from eating it all is a good thing:-)

5. flower elliott
    May 7, 2012 at 9:47 am

they say to put in food dryer… i’d use my electric smoker, i think…

• May 9, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Ooh, that would be really good, I bet!! Good thinking.:-)