Friday’s Frugal Food: Make Your Own Go-Gurts

When I came across this blog post about making your own gogurts, I was so excited, man.

I was geeking out, seriously.  That’s a self-reliant “cooking” idea if I ever saw one.  And I just happened to have all the equipment.
It was really easy.  Kinda time consuming, but not bad.  Certainly not as long as canning 40 lbs of cherries.  Here’s all you do:

First of all, get yourself some yogurt.  I made myself some homemade yogurt.  Cheaper, easy, a simpler taste, it was perfect for this.

I decided to make chocolate and cherry flavored.  You can stick with vanilla, or choose a flavor you’ll love.

To make the cherry, I simply added a little bit of cherry jam to the yogurt.  Because I made plain yogurt, the sweetness from the jam was perfect.

For the chocolate, I added some chocolate syrup.  I’d recommend adding a little sugar too, because I didn’t at first and it wasn’t great…sour chocolate!

Anyway, once you’ve got your yogurt, go ahead and get out your Food Saver.  You’ll want to put a roll in and seal the end.  Roll it out an inch and a half or so, and seal again.  The next seal you do is only going to be about a half inch, because it will be the beginning of the next packet.  So here’s the pattern:  Seal, go over an inch and a half, seal, go over half an inch, seal, go over an inch and a half, seal, etc.

The lighting wasn’t great, but can you see the seals I made?  Now cut off the “tops” of each gogurt package, and separate each package.

Now pour your yogurt in.  The instructions I read were to pour the yogurt into a plastic baggy and cut a corner out, but I made too big a mess doing that.  I simply stuck a funnel into the opening of the plastic and poured it in that way.  Each packet held a little less than 1/2 cup. Leave about 2 inches of space at the top.

Seal your plastic.  NOTE:  DON’T “Vacuum and seal”.  Just seal.  Now you’ve got a homemade yogurt stick!

Throw them in the freezer and take them out an hour or so before you eat them.  OR, you can eat them right out of the freezer and enjoy a frozen yogurt “popsicle”.  The kids love the cherry flavored ones!  I don’t know what I’m going to do with my sour chocolates.  Maybe eat them with a bowl of sugar…dip them in the sugar before each bite…KIDDING. Maybe.

This is another lovely after-school snack that is ready to go at a moments notice!  Enjoy.

This recipe is linked up at:
Photobucket

It's a Keeper

Miz Helen’s Country Cottage

Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks
This entry was posted in Food, Recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

16 thoughts on “Friday’s Frugal Food: Make Your Own Go-Gurts

1. Lisa says:

I just made these, this is fantastic, tyvm…I plan on doing some with juice also

2. Stephanie says:

Just made these. Thanks so much for the idea. I’m usually so stingy with my food saver bags but this is a great use. The kids were eating all the mixes so once they come out of the freezer I know they will love them even more.

I made three types, one with strawberries and honey, one with bananas and chocolate syrup and one with blueberries and maple syrup (I think the last one was my daughters’ favorite! Now I need to go buy more milk!

3. Jen says:

I wouldn’t call this an inexpensive solution, but it is definitely way healthier.

• Evelyn says:

It is actually quite inexpensive! As Danielle mentioned, they are typically $2.50 for an 8-pack, although you can usually find them for $2 or less. That works out to be $0.25 per 2.25-oz tube. The tubes I made are 4-oz, so they are bigger, but even if you don’t factor the size, the cost for the homemade ones is still only $0.20 a tube…and they’re nearly twice as big! :-)

4. Heather says:

I just tried this! I make my kids smoothies all the time so I knew this would be perfect for us. I used frozen strawberries and a banana blended with a little bit of milk and vanilla yogurt! YUM! The tricky part is sealing the tubes without spilling the yogurt. Thanks so much for sharing this spectacular idea!

5. danielle says:

Do you know the cost difference of making your own vs. buying the simply go gurt? I think they are 2.50 normally. But i stock up when i can get them cheap. Last time i got TONS for 1.80 a package or something like that…

• Evelyn says:

Danielle, I’m sorry…I should have included the price breakdown. I made homemade yogurt, which cost $2.27 for the entire batch (although I did buy my milk on sale, so this could be a little more expensive). Factoring in the cost of food saver rolls (currently), I spent about $4.77 total. I made 25 4-oz tubes, a bit bigger than the store-bought tubes, and so the cost per tube ended up being $0.19 a tube. Now, if the milk I’d used for my yogurt had been more expensive, I’d have been looking at closer to $0.20 – $0.21 per tube. I hope that helps!

6. Beth says:

With the way my kids go through go-gurts, I may steal my mom’s food saver for a day or 2 and go to town. What a great idea!!

7. Pingback: Homemade Go-Gurts

8. Miz Helen says:

What a great idea and a very healthy snack. Those look delicious! Hope you will have a great week and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

9. gina says:

These look WAY COOL! How fun! You could use this idea for pudding pops as well. But I do love go gurts. Never thought of using chocolate. Yummm!

Thanks for the great idea.

10. Mandi says:

Now I wish I had a food saver! That’s awesome!