Dear Abby: I found the following in an old textbook in a thrift store. I want the boys who will someday date my granddaughter to read it, believe it, and live by it.
This is My Date “Line”
- The parents of my girlfriend place their trust in me. I will not violate it.
- I will respect my girlfriend as I expect other men to respect my sister.
- I will respect womanhood because my mother is a woman. I will ask my girlfriend to do nothing I would be ashamed of if my mother found it out.
- My girlfriend has given me the honor and pleasure of her company. It is wrong for me to expect more in payment for this date.
- My girlfriend will be a wife and mother someday. She must be an example to her children and the pride of her husband. I will help her to be as pure and decent as I want my wife to be.
- Manhood means strength of character as well as body. Lack of self control is a sign of weakness. I want my girlfriend to know that I am manly.
- God is everywhere, sees everything, knows everything. Darkness may hide me from people, but it cannot hide me from God.
– Submitted by Martha Clark (Jupiter, Florida)